At April 22 2011 VMware released a new fling called ‘PXE Manager for vCenter’. A fling is a short-term thing, not a serious relationship but a fun one. Likewise, the tools that are offeredin the VMware Labs are intended to be played with and explored. The software could be added in the future to the supported software.
PXE Manager for vCenter enables easy deployment and configuration of ESXi hosts. Instead of installing ESXi on local storage of the ESXi host, the ESXi code is downloaded over the network.
PXE Manager for vCenter is free.
PXE Manager for vCenter enables ESXi host state (firmware) management and provisioning. Specifically, it allows:
- Automated provisioning of new ESXi hosts stateless and stateful (no ESX)
- ESXi host state (firmware) backup, restore, and archiving with retention
- ESXi builds repository management (stateless and statefull)
- ESXi Patch management
- Multi vCenter support
- Multi network support with agents (Linux CentOS virtual appliance will be available later)
- Wake on Lan
- Hosts memtest
- vCenter plugin
- Deploy directly to VMware Cloud Director
- Deploy to Cisco UCS blades
Download and instruction videos are available here http://labs.vmware.com/flings/pxe-manager