At May 16 2011 NetApp published it’s Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track reference which uses Cisco UCS for server and networking. Hyper-V Cloud Fast Track is a solution which delivers a virtualiztion infrastructure delivered by vendors based on best practises of those vendors. Read more about the announcement of NetApp here.
A video explaining the solution can be seen here.
NetApp published a very detailed, 57 pages whitepaper full of best practises. It is a recommended read not only for Hyper-V design but also for any other virtualization solution. It gives good insight in Cisco UCS and NetApp storage.
This joint NetApp, Cisco, and Microsoft white paper includes a detailed description of the technical approach and also includes the following information:
• The joint solution for server, network, storage management, and out-of-band management in the Hyper-V cloud
• Our joint approach to automation, maintenance, and security
• The storage area network (SAN) multipathing solution, Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) array design, and performance characteristics
• The cloning capabilities of the SAN, the use of data deduplication and thin provisioning, and Hyper-V integration
• The network infrastructure card (NIC) teaming solution and the host adaptor’s Fibre Channel (FC) and Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI) settings
• The specific network and storage tiering strategies and recommendations