update August 28: added link to Program Guide
update August 20: added link with overview of Hands-on-Labs
update August 17: added breakout sessions by the numbers
update August 16: added Unsupported sessions section, added Moscone Center map
update August 15 : added VMware partner video room news
This posting will give a lot of information on VMware VMworld USA 2012. This is one of the worlds largest IT-conferences. VMworld USA will be held in San Francisco August 26th through August 30 at the Moscone Center. The USA edition will probably welcome over 20.000 attendees.
This years theme is Right here, Right now.
VMworld has a lot to offer:
- 230 Breakout sessions with a lot of technical information on all VMware solutions.
- Group discussions. This is for a limited number of attendees. It is not a presentation where the presenter talks and the audience listens. There is a lot of interaction between the attendees. Experiences can be exchanged. These sessions are not recorded.
- Solution Exchange. A large hall with booths of vendors showing their solutions and doing demos.
- 20+ Hands on labs: here you can work with VMware software in a lab environment and get to know the products. Very cool.
- Partner sessions. Information exclusively for VMware partners with info on selling the solutions.
- Party: on Wednesday evening a big party will be held. John Bon Jovi will be performing. Foreigner was the band in 2009. The Killers performed in 2011.
- Networking. Lots of other people with knowledge and experience on VMware solutions will attend VMworld. There are a lot of parties which are an excellent opportunity to meet other people and do networking. Make sure to bring your business cards.
- Be sure to visit the hands-on-labs. There might be a possibility that somewhere in the future the labs can be done anywhere anytime but for now VMworld will be the only place to play with all the VMware solutions in a lab!
- Do not try to schedule the whole day with breakout sessions. These are recorded so you can watch them later
- Do networking. Lots of great people are at VMworld willing to exchange ideas, knowledge etc
- Be sure the visit the Solution Exchange. Some great solutions can be seen. Also very good for swag (give-aways like t-shirts, iPad, storage etc)
- Group discussions are a great way to meer other customers of VMware and share experiences. Limited number of seats!
Convince your boss You already know how important VMworld 2012 is for your organization. Covering every aspect of virtualization and cloud computing, this once-a-year-event will provide essential opportunities for hands-on instruction, product evaluation, networking and brainstorming. The business impact of your VMworld participation, including increased simplicity, agility and cost efficiency, makes this one of the best IT investments your company will make all year.
Continue here and download a letter for your boss
Registration Registration for VMworld USA and Europe can be done at VMworld.com
VMworld Expo only pass
|The 1-Day Conference pass is only valid for all activities on day of purchase (except for Solutions Exchange which will open for you throughout the week). During the registration process you will select the day you would like to attend (Monday – Wednesday). Note that once you made your selection and purchased your pass you will not be able to change your day.
The Expo Only pass allows you to visit the Solutions Exchange, attend General Sessions and network with thousands of peers during the 4-day event Solutions Exchange features more than 250 companies showcasing the latest virtualization and cloud infrastructure products, services and solutions. You’ll be able to talk with experts from leading companies in the virtualization industry and get hands on experience with the newest tools and technologies. It’s the perfect place to network, learn and explore.
VMworld 2011 The sessions of last year are now viewable for everyone, not just for the attendees of VMworld 2011
A preview of content of some of the sessions at VMworld can be seen here.
- On Monday, Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:30 a.m. PDT the event will kick off with a keynote presentation featuring VMware CEO Paul Maritz, incoming VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger and VMware CTO Steve Herrod detailing how VMware is helping customers and partners thrive in the cloud era with key announcements, discussions and demonstrations of the solutions at the heart of the software-defined datacenter. The Aug. 27 keynote webcast will be available live and on-demand at VMware Now, the new online destination for breaking news, product announcements, videos and demos: http://vmware.com/go/now.
- On Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:30 a.m. PDT VMware CTO Steve Herrod and several VMware partners will take the stage to demonstrate the state-of-the-art technology that is transforming IT and enabling the mobile workforce. The presentations will be available via webcast at http://www.vmworld.com/community/conference/us/learn/generalsessions.
VMware and others will do a lot of announcements. Pre-Register here (before August 27) for exclusive online access to VMworld keynotes, product announcements & more.
A prediction of what could be announced at VMworld here.
Financial Analyst Day
On Aug. 27 at 10:30 a.m. PDT, VMware will host its Financial Analyst Day, an informative and in-depth program for the investment community with presentations about company strategy and product direction. This event will be available via webcast at: ir.vmware.com.
TAM Customer Central at VMworld 2012 (US)
TAM Day 2012 continues in its 8th year as the premier inaugural event to VMworld as an exclusive benefit to TAM customers on Sunday, August 26th. As part of VMware’s ongoing commitment to enhance the entire week-long VMworld experience we are pleased to announce VMworld 2012 TAM Customer Central. This new and exclusive TAM customer-only room is designed to ensure that TAM Customers have the best possible experience from Monday-Thursday during the conference.
more info here.
Moscone Center VMworld Campus map
This map shows the Moscone Center. It has three different buildings. Registration is at Moscone Center West.
The Program Guide has all the details on sessions, locations, maps, agenda etc etc. It can be downloaded here.
For a full listing of sessions with descriptions, be sure you browse the Content Catalog. And create your schedule with Schedule Builder.
Sessions will be available for online viewing by VMworld attendees in the week of September 17. Availability will be announced by email and published on vmworld.com
Recommended session by Duncan Epping (www.yellow-bricks.com)
Recommended sessions by Calvin Zito (@HPStorageGuy)
VMworld 2012 – Chad Sakac’s Preview Webcast
VMworld sessions by the numbers
Eric Siebert did some reasearch on the breakout sessions which results in an overview of number of sessions per day, presenters etc. Read his blog titled VMworld sessions by the numbers
Historically people have done some cool things with VMware software, often things which it wasn’t designed for or is not supported by VMware. VMware’s Randy Keener has taken these fantastic use cases and added his own group of sessions at VMworld hosted by some of the experts from VMware and other companies and full of great information you didn’t know was possible.
- Are you interested in nested ESXi Environments ?
- What else can you do with the SRM SRA ?
- Do you need help setting up your nested ESXi ?
Check out the Community Lounge at VMworld, the sessions will be hosted from 1pm – 3pm each day, for a schedule of the sessions visit this link below – make sure you add them to your calendars as you wont want to miss them, believe me! – More information will be added with the run up to VMworld.
More info here.
VMworld USA 2012 Program Guide At registration you will recieve a printed book called the Program Guide. This has all the information of VMworld like a map of the venue, the agenda, the sessions, the sponsors, the solution Exchange etc etc. Very handy to read before starting VMworld. Download location of the Program Guide will be added when it becomes available.
Lots and lots of info on VMworld here.
VMware’s Socialcast will be used as a community where users can socialize, innovate and invent. Conference attendees will be able to login to a special VMworld 2012 SaaS version of Socialcast and collaborate between each other. This will give you another great way to hook up with friends, find out what’s going on, and post pictures of your friends on stage with Jon Bon Jovi!
Download the Socialcast mobile app for your device now, you will be able to access the site from the device of your choice to keep up with friends and colleges through out the entire event! The Socialcast site should be opening up to registered attendees later this week. More info here.
Hands on labs
One of the highlights of VMworld are the hands-on-labs. The number of self paced labs grow each year. This year over 30 labs are available for all kinds of VMware solutions.
An overview of all Hands-on-Labs at VMworld here.
New in 2012 is the introduction of the concept of Lightning Labs at VMworld. Some lab topics will be broken into smaller 15 or 30 minute modules to make the Hands-on Labs fit better into your schedule. If you only have 15 minutes before lunch, you can drop in, take a Lightning Lab and get a complete story in a bite-sized format. You can come back later and complete the other modules in the same lab topic or move on to other topics as you see fit. It is our hope that Lightning Labs will make the entire Hands-on Labs content catalog more flexible and accessible to all VMworld 2012 attendees.
For the first time, at VMworld 2012, you can bring your own device (BYOD) to the Hands-on Labs. The BYOD delivery model will demonstrate a new way to access and complete Hands-on Lab content on your own tablet or laptop. A separate area will be provided where you will connect to wireless, login to the portal and take labs from your own device. Please be sure to bring your gear with you so that you can try out the new site.
More info on Hands on Labs here.
A large hall with lots of booths , noise, booth babes, food and drinks and give-aways! Make sure to visit and look arond.
Solutions Exchange hours are:
Sunday, August 26 4:00pm – 7:00pm
Monday, August 27 – 10:30am – 6:00pm
Tuesday, August 28 – 10:30am – 6:00pm
Wednesday, August 29 – 10:00am – 5:00pm
Dell presence at VMworld
VMware Partner Video Room
New this year, VMware will have a recording studio set up in the Partner Lounge with ALL the equipment and set-up you need to create your very own VMworld video.
Think about it. This could be the coolest tchotchke / swag item you walk away with from the event.
There are 4 simple steps you can take to book the room, create the video, and share your clip on our VMware Partner Network social network sites and your own.
More info here.
If you are not from the USA do not forget to fill in an ESTA form (sort of visa).
Exclusively for vExperts there will be a meeting on Sunday discussing the program and meetup with other vExperts. See the vExpert forum at VMware Communities.
There will be special facilities for bloggers. Bloggers will have seating in the front rowes during keynotes.There will also be a bloggers lounge with seats, tables and power outlets. There is no bloggers pass. You can ask John Troyer or Alex Maier for a bloggers button.
You want your partner to have fun at well during VMworld? A long list of activities can be found here
Party and social activities:
A long list of party’s and social events here.
Monday August 27 :
Tuesday August 28
Veeam Party from 8-11 PM at Mezzanie San Francisco registration
Wednesday August 29:
VMworld Party with Jon Bon Jovi