Veeam Backup & Replication 6.5 to be released in Q4 2012
September 3, 2012 1 Comment
Veeam announced it will release Veeam Backup & Replication version 6.5 in Q4 2012. The exact release date is yet unknown but will most likely be October or November 2012.
Based on demos and announcements some of the new features are:
- support for VMware vSphere 5.1
- support for Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V and CSV2.0 volumes.
Veeam will probably beat Microsoft DPM 2012 with support of Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V. DPM 2012 will be able to backup Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Cluster Shared Volumes when Service Pack 1 has been released. This is expected somewhere end of Q4 2012.
- Veeam Explorer for SAN Snapshots. This feature has been demo-ed at VMworld 2012. More here. The feature is delivered free in version 6.5.
- Veeam Explorer for Exchange. Restore Exchange items directly from the Veeam database. No agents needed, no restore of mailbox store.
- Ability to backup the Veeam Backup & Replication server configuration settings. This makes it much more easy to recover the Veeam backup server if the Veeam Backup server is lost as well. A backup of the configuration settings can be scheduled.
Recovery of the Veeam backup server will be a matter of reinstall the software, restore the configuration from disk so that all jobs and proxies are back. Then a restore of the other VMs can be performed.
See a short video demonstration of this feature here.
- Advanced reporting features. For example a report which estimate backup repository growth trends. Using this report it can be predicted how many days are left before the backup repository runs out of disk space.