Today at VMworld Europe 2o12 VMware announced vCenter Server version 5.1 will soon be able to manage Microsoft Hyper-V servers. The free addon to vCenter Server is named vCenter Multi Hypervisor Manager 1.0
Until today management of Hyper-V servers by VMware software was possible using vCenter XVP Manager and Converter. This software which VMware is unsupported and comes from the VMware labs.
vCenter Multi Hypervisor Manager however is fully supported by VMware. The software will be available in Q3 2012 together with vCenter Server Standard Edition (at no additional costs). It will be a separate installable package and delivered as a C# VI Client plugin.
At the release supported hypervisors are Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008, Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 hosts and Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V. Support for other hypervisors will be added in the future.
The plugin willl be made available for download from the vCenter Server download page.
Features of the 1.0 version are:
- addremoveconnectdisconnect Hyper-V servers
- view Hyper-V host configuration(processor, memory)
- Power operations for host and VM
- List VMs (per vCenter, per host)
- Connect/disconnect DVD and Floppy drives
- Edit VM settings (RAM, CPU, harddisk, network cards)
- Provision new VMs on Hyper-V hosts
- vCenter Integrated Authorization
A demo of the software can be seen here.