VMware released the VMware vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager 1.0.
Using this add-on in vSphere Client plus a Windows Service running on the vCenter Server, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 Hyper-V servers can be managed using vCenter Server. In future releases Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V and support for other hypervisors will be added.
It provides the following benefits to your virtual environment:
- An integrated platform for managing VMware and third-party hypervisors from a single interface.
- A hypervisor choice for the different business units in your organization to accommodate their specific needs.
- No single hypervisor vendor lock-in.
In October I blogged about the expected release of the Multi-Hypervisor manager. This plugin was announced at VMworld Europe.
The vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager module consists of a server component (a windows service) and a client component. The client component is a plug-in to the VMware vSphere Client. The vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager server is a Windows installable package, which deploys the VMware vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager service. After installing the vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager server component, you have to install the vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager plug-in for the vSphere Client.
Features of the 1.0 version are:
- addremoveconnectdisconnect Hyper-V servers
- view Hyper-V host configuration(processor, memory)
- Power operations for host and VM
- List VMs (per vCenter, per host)
- Connect/disconnect DVD and Floppy drives
- Edit VM settings (RAM, CPU, harddisk, network cards)
- Provision new VMs on Hyper-V hosts
- vCenter Integrated Authorization
A demo of the software can be seen here.
VMware vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager is available to all vCenter Standard Edition customers as a free download. vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager is not available with vCenter Essentials Editions.
This website shows the installation procedure (screendumps). The text is in Czech language but the screens are in english.
The release notes can be viewed here.