Cisco Nexus 1000V for Hyper-V public beta and webinar
March 2, 2013 1 Comment
At March 6 Cisco will introduce the Cisco Nexus 1000V virtual switch for Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V during a webinar. Also you can participate in a Public Beta program. Damian Flynn was first to blog about this.
For VMware vSphere virtual networking the VMware supplied virtual switches can be used (standard and distributed switches). However those switches lack the management interfaces of physical Cisco switches. In large environment in which management of networking, storage and servers is strictly divided in teams VMware virtual switches could be limited. Cisco has been delivering a virtual switch for VMware vSphere which is based on the physical switches of Cisco. Same interface, same management, same features.
Cisco offers two editions of the Nexus 1000V for vSphere: Essentials which is free and Advanced which has a price tag. Read more here.
This virtual switch, the Nexus 1000V will soon be available for Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V with SCVMM 2012 SP1 as well.
The features are:
- Advanced virtual machine networking based on Cisco NX-OS operating system and IEEE 802.1Q switching technology
- Cisco vPath technology for efficient and optimized integration of virtual network services
- Tight integration with System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 SP1
- Layer 2 Switching with Transmit side Rate Limiting
- Security Policy Mobility, inbuilt support for Private VLANs with local PVLAN Enforcement
- Provisioning Port Profiles with deep Integration with SCVMM
- Traffic Visibility, including VM Migration Tracking, NetFlow v.9 with NDE, Cisco Discovery Protocol v.2
- And so much more
Join Cisco Gunnar Anderson (Cisco), Appaji Malla (Cisco) and Damian Flynn on Wednesday March 6th at 9am PST as they present the Nexus 1000V, Overview some of the amazing features which this solution enables, and most importantly share the details on how you can start working with the Beta Release right away.
Using or looking at Hyper-V for your workloads? Learn how the Cisco Nexus 1000V virtual access/distributed switch can help simplify your Hyper-V virtual environment through a non-disruptive operational model, policy based provisioning, and a strong services ecosystem. You will learn about the Cisco Nexus 1000V architecture, how it integrates with Microsoft’s System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) and the rich networking capabilities it brings to Hyper-V environments.
The webinar starts at:
Follow this link to register for the launch.
If you want to participate in the Cisco Nexus 1000V for Microsoft Hyper-V Beta program, click here. Or send an email to email@example.com with in the Subject field: ATTENTION: N1KV/Hyper-V Beta Feedback