StarWind software released the Beta 2 of StarWind iSCSI SAN v8.
The software products uses local storage on servers running Windows Server to provide SAN features. It supports features like VMware HA, vMotion, Hyper-V Live Migration etc. It also does replication and deduplication and much more.
This is an interesting storage solution for small and midsized organisaties who do not have the budget for expensive SAN solutions.
StarWind SAN V8 Beta 2 version provides most salable and essential storage features:
- Scale-out architecture creates fault-tolerant clusters with an unlimited number of hosts. StarWind also enables double or triple synchronous mirroring in a cluster, which guarantees 99.99% or 99.9999% uptime respectively.
- Asynchronous WAN-replication copies data to the remote secure host and enables the primary storage to be restored from the replica when needed. The replication channel bandwidth does not affect the performance of the replicated storage.
- The VAAI support for single-node devices and devices with synchronous replication offloads some tasks to the storage array, thereby reducing the CPU load and memory usage.
- Flash caching is used as L2 cache to decrease random reads.
- SSD/flash cards can be leveraged as the primary storage with StarWind’s dedicated Log-Structured File System (LSFS).
- Fixed and upgraded LSFS replaces random writes with a big sequential write, which improves VM performance drastically.
The Beta 2 release also contains a large number of fixes for small bugs and updates. For more information about new features and enhancements, please view the StarWind SAN V8 Beta 2 release notes here.
Sign up for our public beta now! Try new features of the true software-defined storage. Leave your feedback and help to improve the software!