VMware announced the general availability of vCenter Log Insight 1.5. Details on the release and features were announced at VMworld Europe in October 2013.
vCenter Log Insight is a logfile analyzing tool. It can be used to extract information from unstructured log files. These logfiles can be of VMware products as well as of other hardware and software solutions like SAN, NAS, routers and switches. The knowledge to present data is included in so called ‘content packs’. There are many pre-built content packs available for Dell, EMC, and others. For more information on the publicly available, free-of-charge content packs, go to the VMware Solution Exchange for Log Insight .
Log Insight is a result of the acquisition by VMware of Pattern Insight, the company that built Log Insight, in August 2012.
The release notes for Log Insight 1.5 can be read here.
If you are licensed the bits can be downloaded here.
An evaluation version can be downloaded here.
New in release 1.5 is:
- Support for Microsoft Active Directory based Access Control
- Improved Performance for Frequently Executed Queries and Dashboards
- New Analytics Function: Unique Count (ucount)
- Improved Content Pack Framework
- Better Integration with VMware vSphere and vCenter Operations Manager
- Lots of Usability Improvements
- Easy creation and import/export of Content Packs for administrators and users
- User interface for syslog configuration of ESXi hosts
- User interface for upgrading from previous versions of Log Insight through Administration UI
More detailed information can be read in this VMware blog post.