VMware announced vCenter Log Insight 2.0. This product analyses unstructured data like logfiles and reports on issues like performance or faults. Version 2.0 cannot be downloaded yet. The software availability is expected later this year. To be notified when the bits are available, sign up here.
Version 2.0 is currently is beta. New features are:
- Scale-Out with High Availability
- 5x-10x throughput improvement in Cluster mode
- Single UI to query all the data
- Proactive Analytics
- Machine learning enabled summarization of event types & schema recognition
- Smart fields to aid in extraction
- Super-Powered Dashboards
- Easily add new data filters on the fly
- Interact between dashboard widgets
- RESTful API for log ingestion
- Improved self-monitoring tools
- Windows collection agent
- Forwards Windows event logs
- Monitors & forwards flat log files
- Centralized reporting & management
VMware vCenter Log Insight is licensed on a per operating system instance (OSI) basis, which is defined as any server, virtual or physical, with an IP address that generates logs, including network devices and storage arrays. Price is $200 per OSI or $5,000 per 25-pack.
New in version 2.0 is licensing per socket. If the OSI’s are running on a hypervisor the sockets of the physical server can be licensed. Costs are $ 1500,- per CPU socket.
>With Log Insight, you can analyze an unlimited amount of log data per OSI. The advantage of this is a simple and predictable pricing model that is based on the size of the infrastructure; it does not force you to buy additional licenses to cover the worst-case scenario and pay more for increased log volumes.
Vladan.fr has a detailled blog on Log Insight 2.0 here.
Documentation of the 2.0 beta is here.
Read the VMware blog more more detailed info.