VMworld is always a guarantee for many announcements. 2014 is no difference. This post will provide you with an update on the announcements made by VMware.
Announced at August 27
- Introduction of VMware vSphere Remote Office Branch Office Standard and Advanced editions.
- Announcement of release of vSphere 5.5 Update 2 in Q3 2014. The new release offers support for new chipsets, guest operating systems, business critical application and 6TB hosts. More details in my blog.
- The vSphere Client (C# installed on Windows) will support virtual machine hardware version 10 on vSphere 5.5 U2! Currently in vSphere 5.5 once the VM is on hardware version 10, VM settings cannot be edit using the vSphere client. More here.
- Introducing Hands-on Labs in a Box. Customers, partners and VMware employees can use the Hands-On Labs offered by VMware for free during for example partner organized events. See it as Lab as a Service.
- New web-based vSphere Replication Calculator helps you solve for RPO, number of VMs, & network bandwidth
- Release of PowerCLI 5.8 R1
Announced at August 26
- Introduction of VMware Workspace Suite, a new integrated platform that combines AirWatch by VMware and VMware Horizon
- VMware, NVIDIA and Google Collaborate To Deliver Graphics Rich Apps To Enterprise Cloud Desktops
- In the keynote and during breakout sessions new vSphere 6.0 features were revealed and explained.
For a complete overview see my post here. Fault Tolerance feature will now support 4 vCPU’s. vSphere 6.0 will support cross vCenter vMotion and long distance vMotion!
- Project Fargo (VMFork) combined with CloudVolumes can create VDI VM’s in seconds. More details here
- NVIDIA is to announce technology preview of GRID vGPU on vSphere. Join program here. Video here.
- performance of the vSphere Web Client will be very much improved.
- Introduction of Project Meteor, a tech preview which can dynamically create personalized desktops using any available generic virtual machine. Project Meteor will then deliver the applications in seconds to any device with an HTML 5 based browser.
- Applications as a service in VMware Horizon DaaS
- Availability of VMware Horizon DaaS in European datacenters
- Introduction of VMware Horizon DaaS Enterprise
- New version of the VMware vCloud Connector allows to extend a layer 2 network in vSphere to vCloud Air.
Announced at August 25
- Anouncement of EVO:RAIL. An appliance installed with software based on vSphere, VSAN with a nice HTML5 interface. Initially 6 serverhardware vendors will sell and support.
- vSphere 6.0 Beta. No details on features as the beta is under NDA although being a public beta.
- Virtual Volumes and VSAN 2.0 Beta . No details on features as the beta is under NDA although being a public beta.
- Rebranding of a couple of VMware products to indicate the SaaS offering.
- Introduction of vRealize Suite, a cloud management platform
- Introduction of vCloud Automation Center 6.1 (vCAC). Expected in September
- vRealize Air Automation Beta . Register here
- Announcement of Site Recovery Manager 5.8. SRM 5.8 datasheet is here. Jason Boche has some more details in videos
- Announcement of vSphere Data Protection 5.8. Read here and here what is new in VDP 8.5 Advanced
- vCloud Suite 5.8
- SaaS based cloud management platform vRealize Air Automation. Join beta here
- Announcement of a technical preview of EVO:RACK. The big brother of EVO:RAIL.
- vCloud Air OnDemand general availability in 2015. Pay as you go and creditcard payment of VMware vCloud Air. Beta program starts August 25 ! Join the beta here
- vCloud Air for Government Services (FEDRAMP certified) will roll out in US in September
- Tech Preview: vCloud Air Object Storage based on EMC ViPR technology.
- vCloud Air Database as a Service. Some details here.
- AirWatch mobile device and application managment available on vCloud Air
- introduction of vRealize Operations Insight (“vROI”)
- VMware NSX for vSphere 6.1 . Info here as well
- VMware is now an Open Compute Project Gold Level Member
- VMware Partners With Docker, Pivotal And Google To Bring Container Support To Its Platform . See also this Docker blog.
- Project Fargo, for faster, more compliant, lighter-weight containers on VMware’s SDDC platform
- Announcement of private beta of VMware integrated OpenStack (VIO)
- VMworld 2015 locations and dates
- new Network certifications: VCP-NV, VMware Certified Implementation Expert – Network Virtualization (VCIX-NV) and VCDX-NV
- VMware Certified Professional – Network Virtualization (VCP-NV) is now ready for scheduling
A few days before VMworld started the following listed below was announced.
- The rebranding of vCloud Hybrid Services to vCloud Air
- The acquisition of CloudVolumes by VMware
- Ubuntu available on vCloud Air
My co-worker Viktor van den Berg has a great more detailled overview of announcements here.
I will update this post when more news from VMworld comes in.