During VMworld ,VMware announced it will make available vSphere 5.5 Update 2 before the end of September.
Update 2 will not bring new features but will bring new support.
Some of the changes Update 2 will have:
- support for the new vCloud Suite 5.8
- additional updates and patches (over 100 fixes)
- the vSphere client (written in C#, the one you need to install on Windows) will support virtual machines on hardware level 10. Untill now once a VM has hardware level 10 editing configuration of the virtual machine can only be done using
- support for new chipsets
- Haswell EP legacy support (soon to be released Intel Xeon E5 v3 processors)
- support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and Ubuntu 10
- support for business critical applications (not sure what that will be)
- support for 6TB hosts (not on the market yet)
- support for additional versions of SQL Server (like 2012 SP1 , 2014) and Oracle 12c as database for vCenter Server
- storage vMotion with Change Block Tracking
Source: this recording of a breakout session called ‘what is new in vSphere’