At September 16 VMware released VMware Mirage 5.1
Mirage enables central image management of physical desktops and laptops. It supports VMware View as well. It will be interesting what happens to VDI image management now VMware acquired CloudVolumes and is working on Project Fargo.
Mirage uses layering. It disconnects drivers, applications, device and user profiles from the operating system.
The advantage from a management perspective is the ability to have local, offline execution of applications with central management.
What’s New in Mirage 5.1?
Mirage 5.1 introduces more than 20 new features, enabling you to extend the management of remote and mobile-user devices. Included are the following new features and improvements:
- IT managers can control the Mirage clients’ bandwidth consumption from the Mirage Management console. You can limit bandwidth by subnet or by Active Directory site.
- Mirage now has an API that currently supports centralization and OS migration use cases. You can use the API to integrate Mirage with third-party systems, such as ticketing or help desk applications. Partners and customers can access and integrate with Mirage data and services.
- You can now install and configure the Mirage Gateway server by using a self-installed Web configuration portal.
- IT managers can generate a variety of reports from the Mirage Web Manager console. The reports provide analytics for Mirage operations. You can generate reports on demand, or save report parameters as a template and generate the report according to a specified schedule.
- You can provision a device with a base layer and app layers using a single wizard.
- Mirage now includes the VMware Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). When you join CEIP, the CEIP tool collects technical data from the Mirage database and log files, and sends the data to VMware on a daily basis. Before the data is sent to VMware, it is made anonymous and is encrypted in your systems or servers.
- You can now protect all fixed drives by using the Mirage upload policy.
The release notes are here
More information on Mirage here.