You might be aware that VMware changed the VCP certification on March 10, 2014 . A VCP-certification is now valid for 2 years. This also applies for certifications obtained before March 10. More information in this VMware FAQ.
If you are VCP5 Datacenter Virtualization (VCP5-DCV) certified the quickest and cheapest way to recertify is doing a Delta exam which can be done from anywhere: your office, at home etc. No need to go to an exam center. This Delta exam was announced at VMworld and is not very well know.
For many VCP certified people the expiration policy means they are required to recertify before March 10, 2015 to keep their VCP certification.
Several options are available for recertification:
- Take the current exam for your existing VCP certification solution track. For example, if you are a VCP3, you could take the current VCP5-Data Center Virtualization (VCP5-DCV) exam. Cost for exam $ 225,-
- Earn a new VCP certification in a different solution track. For example, if you are a VCP-Cloud, you could recertify by earning VCP5-Desktop (VCP5-DT) certification.
- Advance to the next level by earning a VMware Certified Advanced Professional (VCAP) certification. For example, if you are a VCP5-DCV you could earn VCAP5-DCA certification. Costs for exam which will take your about 3+ hours: $400
- Renew your current VCP5 DCV by completing a limited-time, streamlined delta exam. The exam is based only on the delta (new) material between the vSphere 5.0/5.1 and vSphere 5.5 exams.
Option 4 is the most efficient way to recertify if you are VCP5 DCV certified.. Mind however this the exam will be available through November 30, 2014.
The advantages of this delta exam are :
- Based only on new material between the vSphere 5.0/5.1 and vSphere 5.5 exams – you save hours of prep time
- Available online – you can take it from any location
- Far less expensive – you save money. Costs are $ 120,-
If you do not recertify for VCP5 you have to wait to VCP6-DCV become available. You likely need to attend a 5-day course as well before being able to register for the exam.
More information on the VCP5-DCV Delta Recertification Exam (VCP550D) here. Mind you can only register for the online exam maximum for two days ahead.
The exam had 65 questions and you have 75 minutes to do the exam.
No retake limit other than a 7-day waiting period. Content is vSphere 5.5 – specific content. Expect Virtual SAN questions
So study, then book the exam and do the exam within 48 hours after booking.
Thanks to my co-workers Herco van Brug and Viktor van den Berg for sharing the news about the new delta exam.