A free tool to copy files to and from Azure virtual machines has been released by Veeam. FastSCP for Azure which is currently in beta can be downloaded here after registration.
Without FastSCP you can use a RDP session to upload files into an Azure VM. However this is not a reliable connection. A small timeout and the transfer will be aborted. It is also limited to 2 GB file size. Another option is to upload a VHD file. Not ideal either.
This new, FREE standalone utility, designed specifically for Microsoft Azure VMs solves these issues and provides:
- Secure file copy with no independent encryption or VPN needed
- Manual file copy to/from Azure VMs without the need to keep the UI open until the file copy completes
- Automatic scheduling of file copy jobs for nightly or weekly copies to/from Azure VMs
- A wizard-driven UI to copy files in just a few clicks—with no scripting needed
Mind FreeSCP cannot be used to copy VHD files to Azure Blob storage.
The user interface looks very nice!
FastSCP runs on
- Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 or later (32-bit and 64-bit versions)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or later
Mike Resseler of Veeam wrote a detailled blog here.
More information in the pressrelease of Veeam. Vladan.fr has a blogpost on FastSCP.