At September 16 VMware released vSphere 5.5 Update 3.
Before rushing to install this update read this post. Many people reported about crashing VMs at a snapshot delete after installing Update 3. The only fix is to downgrade to Update 2.
Update 3 of VMware ESXi 5.5 contains the following enhancements:
- Log Rotation Enablement – Log rotation for vmx files allows you to reduce the log file sizes by specifying the size of each log and the number of previous logs to keep.
- Certification of PVSCSI Adapter – PVSCSI adapter is certified for use with MSCS, core clustering and applications including SQL and Exchange. This creates performance gains when moving from LSI Logic SAS to PVSCSI.
- Support for Next Generation Processors – In this release we will continue our support for next generation processors from Intel and AMD. Please see the VMware Compatibility Guide for more info.
- ESXi Authentication for Active Directory – ESXi is modified to only support AES256-CTS/AES128-CTS/RC4-HMAC encryption for Kerberos communication between ESXi and Active Directory.
ESXi 5.5 U3 Release Notes
ESXi 5.5 U3 Download Page
What is new in vCenter Server 5.5 Update 3
- vCenter Server database support: vCenter Server now supports the following external databases:
- Oracle 12c R1 P2 (126.96.36.199)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3
- Increased guest operating system support: vCenter Server has added support for the following guest operating systems.
- Oracle Linux 7.0
- Ubuntu 14.10
- Windows 10
- RHEL 6.6
- RHEL 7 .1
- CentOS 7.1
- Oracle Linux 7.1
vCenter Server 5.5 U3: Release Notes
vCenter Server 5.5 U3 Download Page